Sunday, October 28, 2007

The Man I Am

Probably one of the most elusive definitions known in modern times is the definition of man. Sure, we can define him anatomically, but what is the true essence of today's modern man? That question might be a difficult one to answer in a broad sense-and even if someone were able to successfully answer it, I'm not all together sure they would be able to describe me to my satisfaction so I will attempt to describe man as he pertains to me. Afterwards, if anyone would like to add or subtract to my definition as it pertains to them, this is an open forum-feel free to do so.

As a man, I believe and subscribe to the mantra first do no harm. I believe the definition lies within the statement, but I'll elaborate for the purpose of clarity. I believe that I have no right to harm those who have not tried to harm me. I have no right to disturb, alter, or negatively influence in anyway, the innocent. That includes members of the human family and animals. It encompasses organizations and entities that I am a member of, or affiliated with, in any way shape or fashion. Churches (which I wouldn't be caught dead in-wait, I might want to rethink that), places of employment, political institutions, all fall into this category. However, if at any time in the span of history, you've attempted to harm me in anyway, I reserve the right to destroy you, your associates, or any one linked to you. That is not to say that I will exercise that right, but once you've harmed or attempted to harm me, you've opened a door that you cannot close. My demise will not close that door-my offspring will carry my sentiment to their graves.

As a man, I believe that love is the ultimate in civility and humanity. The love that I have for my child is no different than the love I have for my mate. The boundaries of our interactions may differ, but the love is the same. It is the same love that I have for all of humanity and I choose to express it freely. Universal love is what we all should strive to achieve. But love also has a dark side. I love humanity so much that I would take the life of my own child should that child be a threat to humanity. I have no right to bring forth a seed and sacrifice all of humanity to spare one spoiled seed. It's is my duty to the world to protect it from threats-no matter where they emanate from. Harsh? Perhaps. Necessary? Above all things, yes.

The greatest joy I as a man can ever know is the joy of knowing I've pleased my woman. And if that pleasure is reciprocal, a cycle begins that only death can put an end to. As a man, the love of a good woman is above all things. Her protection and safety I take serious and will never abandon my responsibility-even if it costs me my life.

As a man, I am the protector of my family and my community, for they support me and comfort me in ways no other can. Drugs, alcohol, lust, nor avarice can separate me from that which has the ability to fulfill me completely.

Of course there is plenty more, and I won't attempt to bore you with the details. Sadly, we live in a world where the values I've mentioned have been completely lost amongst the masses. But imagine what a beautiful world this would be if only we could find our way back to these beliefs.

TPOKW

No comments: