Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Entertainers vs. Politicians

I was showering this morning and thinking about a line in a song that I wrote, Supa' Star. The line goes, ..Life is good with the crib in Hollywood. At the Clipper game sittin' next to Meagan Good,. Of course I don't have a house in Hollywood, and I've never met Meagan Good (although one day I would like to make the little hottie's acquaintance). In the world of Hip-Hop I would be considered someone who's frontin'. As most of you know, you have to be shot 19 times, and survive of course, so that you have street cred' and then you can rap or sing about it. I suspect that is what's meant when hip-hop heads (HHH's) say keep it real. My concern is, why is hip-hop the only art form that is required to keep it real? The movie industry thrives on keepin' it unreal. So does the television industry. I am sure all of George Strait's Ex's didn't live in Texas. Even country music allows itself the artistic freedom to embellish-why do HHH's insist on it being real?

The flip side of that is the behavior of our politicians. If you ask a HHH about something a politician said, you'll probably get a response similiar to this: "Man you know all of those politicians lie." So let me get this straight, your Entertainers, you know the people that you party to and use to distract you, have to be honest but you're political representatives can be afforded the latitude of lying? Hold up, I'm confused. The scenarios on 50 Cent's latest CD have to be accurate, but your congressman can fudge the truth? WOW...can anyone say bassackwards? I don't care how many women Jay-Z got head from backstage, or whether it's a fabrication of the truth, I'm more concerned about someone taking my hard-earned taxpayer's dollars and pocketing them for their own nefariousness. We hold our entertainers to a higher standard than we hold our lawmakers and representatives. Seriously! You just ask someone about a political scandal and listen to their response-"Man, you can't trust a politician." It's a foregone conclusion and we've accepted this as status quo. This is sheer lunacy. They haven't pulled the wool over our eyes, they've literally blinded us with the entire flock of sheep!

But I have to admit, my concerns are selfish. Yes, I am disturbed by U.S. Senators who solicit sex in public bathroom stalls-but wait a minute, before I make my point, I just gotta say: THAT'S JUST NASTY! I don't care what your sexual preference is, how the hell do you get naked and carnal in a public restroom? That is singularly one of the nastiest places on earth. Disneyland purports to be the happiest-I'm declaring the public restroom one of the nastiest! And the public restrooms at Disneyland the happiest, nastiest places on earth! Back to my point. My concerns are selfish. Should my song Supa' Star become a #1 hit, I don't want anyone coming up to me saying, Yo' man, you ain't got no house up in Hollywood. I bet you never even seen Meagan Good in person! And they'd be absolutely correct. BUT DUMB ASS, IT'S ENTERTAINMENT. Not real life. Ok, here it is...I said it because the shit rhymed! Hollywood, Meagan Good. I thought it was genius. Now I have to face the boo birds because I'm witty with words but can't afford a house in Hollywood and Meagan won't return my phone calls?

Listen, as an artist and an entertainer, I want the same latitude that lying, thieving, public-bathroom-stall-sex-having, gay-playing-straight, head-in-the-oval-office-having, politicians get! (Sorry Clinton, I know everyone thinks you were the first black president but Lincoln actually holds that distinction. Why else would he allow himself to be credited with freeing the slaves? You know white folks love cheap labor). We all lie, damnit! I have friends that damn near have two separate families that don't know about one another-that's not a bigger lie than me trying to rhyme Hollywood and Meagan Good?" Jesu Cristo! Give me a damn break. From now on, I give rappers, hip-hop artists, grafiti artist, and b-boys PERMISSION TO LIE, JUST LIKE THE REST OF THE DAMNED COUNTRY. So now, 50 and The Game can play fight. And those of you who are foolish enough to choose sides and battle with one another in the streets, you can play fight too. Oh yes, all of you now have my permission to carry fake weapons as well. In fact, I know a guy who can get you a blank gun that looks authentic and we can have all of you equipped with the squibs that explode fake blood and you can even shoot each other up...and live to tell about it. No more of that 9 shots and 18 weeks in intensive care recovering from the real thing. You now have permission to do it up Schwarzeneggar-style (who incidentally is an entertainer and a politician).

As you know, this is all just tongue-in-cheek, but does anyone else see the irony in this? People who are supposed to pretend to be someone else are held closer to the truth than those who are supposed to really keep it real. I mean, come on, I really wish I could Unbreak Toni Braxton's heart, but It's just a damn song. Incidentally, Toni, if by some remote chance you're reading this, given the opportunity you wouldn't have to worry about anyone having to unbreak your heart if you were with me doll. Unless you're as nutty as Halle Berry, we'd get along just fine. But I digress.

So now here I am, a striving artist, afraid to release a song and have it go #1 because someone might color me a fraud because I wrote a witty line. All the while Larry Craig, the U.S. Senator from Idaho, who finds sex in a men's room with another man acceptable behavior, refuses to step down. What's this world coming to? I'll tell you what it's coming to: but not right now, I gotta go find a word that rhymes with Braxton.

TPOKW?

2 comments:

Raymond said...

You know you shouldn't have put it up here that it wasn't true!! you know, the not having a house in Hollywood and Megan... I'm just saying, should you hit Number 1, and someone types the lyrics into Google search, and this article pops up...your non-existent street cred ,takes a plunge into the negatives! Just let them prove that it isn't true!! I'll vouch for you, say I have seen pictures!! Though I don't think I am credible a source! The closest I have been to Hollywood is ...bugger...I can't even complete that sentence!!

The Prince of Know Where? said...

I appreciate you having my back, but any street cred I pretend to have would crumble when, after my CD release party, everyone retired to my one bedroom apartment. I guess I could say that this was my crash pad. Aha, there's my out. I only take special people to my Hollywood home.

Thanks Raymond, you've solved my dilemma!