Monday, October 02, 2006

OHIO PLAYERS

Thursday night, the band borded a flight headed for Detroit Michigan. We were picked up by a stretch hummer and whisked off to Toledo Ohio. We had a gig there that, I must admit, was really a waste of time. We played a total of 3 songs. But I have to admit that I partied my ass off! The Henessy was flowing, the 420 was burning. I need about a year to recover.

It was cool kicking it with the band but today when we touched down in Los Angeles, we received a text message from our keyboard player stating that he quit. Pretty chicken shit but so fucking what-there are more keyboard players out there. It would have been cool if he would have let us know ahead of time and give us an opportunity to find another keyboard player but you can't have everything.

All in all I guess I understand his departure-he just graduated from college, he's got a new job and money for the first time in his life-and we are a part of his past I'm sure he wants to forget-good riddance. I don't know how black people think that they will get anywhere as individuals if they can't go anywhere as a group. I'm so disappointed in my people. It's as though they can't do a damned thing as a group. Oh wait, they fight a lot and act like crabs in a bucket, but I don't consider that a positive group activity. I think crisis brings people together and black people are in a crisis. But we've been there so long we've normalized our awful condition (and even consider some of it cool). So even though we are in a bad state, we can see it. And we infight with each other instead of building something positive. That young man is going to find out that white folks will hang you out to dry. If it can happen to Mike Tyson, Mike Jackson, OJ Simpson (ok maybe OJ was guilty), it could happen to you-wet behind the ears, green horn. God hasn't blessed you brother, and if he has, you'll find out that you've misused that blessing. Do I say that because you left the band? No, I say it because I remember how you were prior to your graduation-now you're too hot for TV-life will explain this to you one day.

RCP

No comments: