Sunday, September 10, 2006

Band Aid

Friday we had one of our weekly gigs at the Cotton Club West in Long Beach and two of our members showed up very late. I was the one that negotiated this gig at the club so of course the owner wanted to speak to me. He wanted to know why we wasn't able to go on 'til 11:00 pm. Not only did we lose money, (the owner let everyone in free-what's the use of charging when there isn't a band playing?), (I) we lost credibility. The man's trying to run a business and here we are not being able to show up and perform on time-I was livid. I found an inanimate object (a rather large yellow flashlight) in the parking lot and destroyed it! There was a time when I was known for my temper but those days have long since departed. But at least during those times no one played with me. As I've aged, people have known me more for my cool head-but Friday I tried my best to damage that reputation. If being cool gets me in trouble, I don't want to have anything to do with it. I don't care what you're doing or who you are playing for, it will not take precedence over whatever it is that I'm doing. If you are supposed to play with my band, be there or be replaced.

Some people have a problem with following orders but everything that is worth anything in life abide's by a set of rules. For instance if you're flying from Los Angeles to New York, there are rules. First of all, the plane had better leave at a certain time. Secondly, the crew has to abide by a certain set of rules otherwise they cannot fly. I don't think any of us would travel via airline if there weren't stringent rules and if we expect everyone else to abide by stringent guidelines why can't we abide by those guidelines ourselves. That is how we achieve near perfection.

With that said, there will be some changes within Wisdom Soul. Either we get the dedication that I'm looking for or I'll find members that will follow suit. I'm not the best vocalist, guitarist, or front man. But I'm dedicated and I am always looking to improve. I expect the same from everyone else. This is a business and either we conduct it like one or those who wish to can go back to garage band status. I'll find the unit that will BE ON TIME!!!

Enough said on this subject...Y'all, COME OUT AND SEE WISDOM SOUL. And check out our latest photos at jerryli.comand click on Richard's Band.

See You At The Next Show!!!

No comments: