Saturday, November 03, 2007

The Man Who Copied



Okay, those of you who know me know that I am a closet hopeless romantic. My tear ducts have been known to become active during a good movie. Like most men, I have the tough exterior that makes you think I eat pig iron for breakfast and urinate molten steel-but in reality, I'm a softy when it comes to a good love story. And since I'm uber-single these days, my Friday nights are usually spent perched in a chair in front of ye ole big screen, alone, with a bowl of popcorn and a Blockbuster rental. Well tonight was no different. Well, actually, it was. I'm known for my love of just about anything Brazilian. I love Samba and Astrud Gilberto. I listen to real Brazilian samba in Portugese and I don't have the slightest clue what the hell they are singing about, but the spirit touches my soul at its very depths. Tonight, I took a chance on a Brazilian DVD titled, O Homem Que Copiava (The Man Who Copied), and did I strike gold!

It was a little slow starting out-I don't know how much excitement you can generate around a 20 year old photocopy machine operator, but as the movie progressed, they managed to get a beautiful love story out of it all. Without getting all Two Thumbs Up on you, I would give the movie the all 20 digit's up! The characters are well developed and vibrant in their own way. The main character, Andre, is, as I mentioned before, a photocopy machine operator. I don't think I have to illustrate for anyone how mundane an existence that must be. We've all, at one time or another, made a photo copy of a document. And we all know it's as about as exciting as folding clothes. Well, poor Andre has to eek out a living doing just that. The only excitement to his job comes in the form of Marinês, his hot Brazilian co worker who professes at one point in the movie that she doesn't wear panties. Now I don't know if this was by choice, or if it's because of financial constraints-either way, Marinês is fucking hot and the thought of her not wearing panties caused quite a stir in my nether-regions.

Anyway, Andre too lusts after Marinês, but his heart lies with Silvia, the young girl he spies on with binoculars (that incidentally took him one year to save for), from his apartment across the street from hers. Both love birds live with a parent; Andre, with his mother, whom you don't get a good glimpse of 'til the end of the movie, and Silvia with her father, a perverted excuse of a man who steals money from her purse and peaks through the key hole at her while she showers.

Lastly, there is Cardoso, the self-proclaimed antique dealer and wanna-be love interest of Marinês. When we are introduced to Cardoso (he caries around a cell phone that I don't think works), he seems to be the stereotypical big fish in a little pond, but we later discover his career in antiques is about as legitimate as Fred Sanford's.

I won't go into a complete review of the movie, but suffice it to say that there are twists and turns that will have your mouth gaping and your hands itching to applaud. American critics didn't receive it with open arms, and I might have a few theories explaining why. #1-if you don't come from a poor country, it's difficult to understand the motivation of said residents. #2-the lead character is as dark as I am-his love interest isn't-'nuff said. White America isn't too comfortable with humans possessing differing skin tones hooking up and I'm sure this rubbed a few white men the wrong way.

Nevertheless, I found the rental quite entertaining and would rank it amongst my top 40 all time favorites. The only problem with a rave review is that it sets ultra-high expectations and rarely can a movie, or any attraction, live up to the expected excitement level that can be created in one's imagination. But I recommend you all check out the movie, it's a glimpse into where most of us live, whether we care to admit it or not.

If you don't like it, I'll gladly refund the money I spent on the rental (read that extremely careful-it ain't legalese, but it's close).

TPOKW?

No comments: