Monday, July 23, 2007

A Cockroach Killed My Coffee Cup

I work in a warehouse with office space upstairs and if you know anything about warehouses, they harbor critters. Regardless of what you do, they'll make your space a refuge. Fortunately, they don't care to climb stairs so I've never seen any in my office. This morning I came in to work and began my ritual of checking and respoonding to email, processing my orders, and finally going downstairs to prepare my standard breakfast of oatmeal, fresh fruit, and coffee. Normally, I leave my coffee cup upstairs, but Friday I was in such a rush, I left it in the break room with about a quarter cup of coffee in it (I know, gross but like I said, I was in a rush).

Well this morning I went downstairs, and picked up my coffee cup, looked inside and submerged in my cup was a 1.5 inch long cockroach (no I didn't measure him-it's an estimate). Needless to say, I dry-heaved for about 10 seconds. After involuntarily attempting to empty the contents of my stomach, I went into the restroom and gave the java-loving critter a ceremonious burial at-sea (i.e. I flushed his nasty ass down the toilet). To my surprise, he was still alive! He began a frantic version of the cockroach breast stroke, but to no avail-the powerful suction of gravity whisked him away. I stood and watched him (or her-I have no way of identifying the sex of insects. Furthermore, you all should be deeply concerned about someone who does), as he/she struggled to keep from being sucked into the abyss.

Afterwards, I put the cup in the sink (notice how it's no longer my cup?), and ran hot water in it for about 30 seconds and then I came to the realization that, no matter how I much I wash it, every time I put the cup up to my lips for a sip, I'm going to see that partially submerged cockroach with it's spindly legs. I decided to throw it in the trash.

Today, I learned two lessons:

Lesson#1-From now on, my coffee cup will be washed and stored upstairs, and

Lesson#2-Cockroaches love coffee. So if you work in a warehouse connected to other warehouses, the great likelihood is that a cockroach has taken a bath in your partially filled coffee cup. Ok, I know that wasn't fair, but I don't want to be the only one.

P.S. The coffee was medium roast with hazelnut creamer just in case any of you were wondering.

Prince

No comments: