Saturday, June 09, 2007

Double Negatives

Double Negatives

My baby speaks in double negatives
“He don’t want me no more”
And she’s right, I don’t want her no more
I love everything about her but the problem is
She don’t really love herself

I don’t want her no more
I want her to be the mother of my children
Okay, at least one of them
I want to grow old with her, to take care of her when she’s sick
And cook for her when she’s hungry

I want to take her on long drawn-out vacations
Where we lie around the pool all day and dance ‘til the sun comes up
The only problem is, she thinks I don’t want her no more
And she’s right, I don’t want her no more

I want to shower her with gifts, even when it isn’t her birthday or Christmas
I want to make love to her so passionately
That our souls become one and our bodies meld into
One big knot of sex and sweat and flesh
Making it completely impossible to tell where she ends and where I begin

I want to marry her, make her my wife
Make her the center of my universe
Give her my life
I want her to wear my name with the pride of a street cop
On the first day he gets his detective’s badge

But she thinks I don’t want her no more
This world has so confused us that
We no longer know when we speak the truth
She thinks I don’t want her no more
And you know what? She’s right,
I don’t want her no more
And I love her

No comments: