Monday, March 16, 2009

Anna Deavere Smith

I once studied acting at a repertory in California and this phenomenal woman was my acting instructor. At the time I was too young to realize what a great instructor she was but in retrospect, I am awe-struck by her and wish I could have appreciated her instruction when I had the opportunity. On our first day of class, we all were to bring a monologue to recite and at the time I was reading I Tina, a book about Tina Turner's life with Ike. There was a chapter that described what Tina experienced the night when one of Ike's women shot herself in a bathroom. I decided to recite this passage. When I finished, Anna asked me, "Where have you studied acting before?" It was my first acting class, and at the time I felt she'd paid me the greatest compliment a teacher could bestow upon a student.

Pay close attention to her Korean Grocer bit. Exceptional!

3 comments:

keepinitreal said...

HEY TPOKW.....I LOVE ANNA! She is a wonderful actress! It's nice that you got an opprotunity to study w/her! ;)

The Prince of Know Where? said...

That's surprising-not very many people know much about her since she hasn't been in very many mainstream productions.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised that someone as brilliant as you would know who she was.

®

keepinitreal said...

I loved her in LIFESUPPORT! She is great!! Hey i didn't know that u like to act that is awesome!!