Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Reflectively Pensive During the Fall



It's fall-a season that carries a lot of meaning for me. When I was a kid, fall was when we returned to school, which was never a happy time for me. Quite frankly, as I child I only liked the summer-you could toss the rest of the year in the trash. Oh wait, and Christmas. As an adult, I had to teach myself to enjoy the entire year and all the pleasantries the four seasons offer.

I remember when I learned to fully embrace fall. I'd just got out of a very turbulent relationship and my newly found freedom brought new and exciting experiences. A new love interest-a new job-exposure to many different cultural activities, I was flying high. The change in temperature was a warm welcome. I found pleasure in layering my clothing, stepping out into the cool night air, and allowing myself to be dazzled by all my new surroundings.

Well once again it's fall and it's a pensive time for me. A lot of new things occurring in my life right now. Some, if I allow them, can make me very depressed but I've been consciously navigating my way through. If I find myself getting down, I don't panic, I just go with the feeling and I allow it to have its time. I think that's the only way we move on-instead of burying our emotions, let them run their course. I also know how to "medicate" those feelings with music.

It seems every time Maxwell comes out with a new CD, I've just ended a relationship. Somehow he always helps me navigate through. So suffice it to say I've been listening to a lot of Maxwell lately. In fact, his very first release, Maxwell's Urban Hang Suite was released when I was going through a major break up. I picked it up and 'Til the Cops Come Knockin' and Reunion helped me put things into perspective. Instead of spending the entire time wallowing in sadness, I began having a few 'Til the Cops Come Knockin' episodes of my own. From what I hear his latest, BLACKsummers'night, has two more releases scheduled: blackSUMMERS'night and blacksummers'NIGHT, I think I'll stay single until he's done. Oct. 16 he'll be at the Hollywood Bowl and I'll be there to check god out.

Well, enjoy the fall everyone. Embrace the changes nature brings. Here in California we're lucky enough not to be fully assaulted by inclimate weather so we should allow it to act as a prop or backdrop in the motion picture of our lives. I have quite a fondness for the fall. The cool air reminds me of loving and being loved; of a hand in hand walk with someone special; of concerts and plays and warm coats. I implore you all to find something special about this time of the year and make it your own.

TPOKW?

*Side Note-I took this photo yesterday on a jetty in Seal Beach at sunset. California has some very beautiful sunsets.

No comments: